In 1975, eight Department of Transportation employees determined that Oklahoma state employees would benefit by forming an association to protect and improve state employees’ interests. Thus, the Oklahoma Public Employees Association was created. Despite many challenges, the association has grown to be the largest and most effective voice for state employees and retirees.
Some of what OPEA has achieved for state employees since 1975 are listed below. We are proud of our accomplishments and look forward to many more in the future!
- Obtained more than a dozen state employee pay raises and cost-of-living adjustments for retirees since 1976
- Established longevity pay for state employees in 1982
- Obtained health insurance coverage for state employee dependents in 1992
- Increased health insurance coverage for dependents from 50% to 75% in 2001
- Established SoonerSave in 1998 and got state matching contribution in 2000.
- Obtained Disability Insurance for state employees in 1985
- Established state employee leave sharing program in 1990
- Obtained additional paid holiday at Christmas in 2010
- Obtained Death Benefit for Retirees in 1987
- Created state Employee Assistance Program in 1992
- Obtained increase in paid annual leave in 2001
- Established severance benefits in 1997
- Mandated counseling and paid administrative leave be provided to state workers assaulted or witness to traumatic events at work in 2017
- Capped number of double-shifts that can be required of DOC corrections officers in 2016
As you can see, a lot of great benefits of being an Oklahoma state employee are a direct result of the work OPEA has done. But, working for change at the State Capitol is only part of what we do at OPEA. Below are some of the other things we work on daily for our members.
OPEA is always there for our members to protect their rights as state employees. Whether you need our Grievance Coordinator or our Legal Advocacy Program, OPEA has your back!
OPEA is always available to assist you with questions or problems regarding your insurance, benefits or retirement. If you have questions please contact us. We can help!
Making Your Voice Heard
Through OPEA, you join more than 10,000 state employees working together to improve working conditions and employee benefits. Together with OPEA staff, we will ensure your voice is heard at agency board and commission meetings and anywhere else decisions are made regarding state employees.
OPEA fights for your interests at the State Capitol every day during legislative session and is always working on organizing and building a grassroots network of state employees to help advance our cause. We need you contacting legislators and we need you making us aware of issues. We can only achieve what state employees need and deserve by working together. Join OPEA and get engaged!
If you’re interesting in getting involved in politics and getting state-employee-friendly citizens elected to office, then OPEA can help get you involved. We do everything we can to get the right people elected to state office and we always need active and engaged members to help make that happen. Just let us know what you’re willing to do and we’ll help you get involved in making Oklahoma more of a worker-friendly state.