House Speaker Chris Benge, R-Tulsa, has announced the new committee structure for the House of Representatives.
“The House had undergone a series of changes in the committee structure during the last administration,” said OPEA Deputy Director Scott Barger. “It appears that Speaker Benge is moving back to a more familiar model. Hopefully this will avoid so much confusion between subcommittees and the standing committees.”
Among the former subcommittees that will be elevated to committee status are Agriculture and Rural Development, Wildlife, Common Education, Higher Education and CareerTech, Administrative Rules and Agency Oversight, Government Modernization, Veterans and Military Affairs, and International Relations and Tourism.
Chairmen were named for each of the committees. Vice chairmen and other members will be named later this month. “We have a great working relationship with many of the Chairmen such as Representatives Lisa Billy, Randy Terrill, Doug Cox and John Wright,” said Barger. “All of these representatives have committees that are very important to state employees.”
House committees and committee chairs for the 2009 session:
• Administrative Rules & Agency Oversight: Chairman Rep. John Wright, R-Broken Arrow.
• Agriculture & Rural Development: Chairman Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon.
• Common Education: Chairman Rep. Ann Coody, R-Lawton.
• Economic Development and Financial Services: Chairman Rep. Dan Sullivan, R-Tulsa.
• Energy & Utility Regulation: Chairman Rep. Mike Thompson, R-Oklahoma City.
• General Government: Chairman Rep. Lisa Billy, R-Purcell.
• Government Modernization: Chairman Rep. Jason Murphey, R-Guthrie.
• Higher Education & Career Tech: Chairman Rep. Todd Thomsen, R-Ada.
• Human Services: Chairman Rep. Pam Peterson, R-Tulsa.
• International Relations & Tourism: Chairman Rep. Shane Jett, R-Tecumseh.
• Judiciary: Chairman Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs.
• Public Health & Social Services: Chairman Rep. John Trebilcock, R-Broken Arrow.
• Public Safety & Homeland Security: Chairman Rep. Sue Tibbs, R-Tulsa.
• Rules: Chairman Rep. Gus Blackwell, R-Goodwell.
• Transportation: Chairman Rep. T.W. Shannon, R-Lawton.
• Veterans and Military Affairs: Chairman Rep. Gary Banz, R-Midwest City.
• Wildlife: Chairman Rep. Phil Richardson, R-Minco.
Appropriations and Budget Committee and Subcommittee chairmen:
• Appropriations & Budget Committee: Chairman Rep. Ken Miller, R-Edmond.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on Education: Chairman Rep. Lee Denney, R-Cushing.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on General Government & Transportation: Chairman Rep. Guy Liebmann, R-Oklahoma City.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on Health: Chairman Dr. Doug Cox, R-Grove.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on Human Services: Chairman Rep. Ron Peters, R-Tulsa.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on Judiciary & Public Safety: Chairman Rep. Randy Terrill, R-Moore.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on Natural Resources & Regulatory: Chairman Rep. Dale DeWitt, R-Braman.
• Appropriations Subcommittee on Revenue & Taxation: Chairman Rep. Jeff Hickman, R-Dacoma.