OPEA Provides Link With FEMA

Federal Aid Programs for Oklahoma Emergency Disaster Recovery
Release Date: December 10, 2007
Release Number: HQ-07-241Factsheet
» More Information on Oklahoma Severe Winter Storms
» En Español
Following is a summary of key federal disaster aid programs that can be made available as needed and warranted under President Bush’s emergency disaster declaration issued for Oklahoma.
“Emergency” is any occasion or instance in which the president determines that federal assistance is needed to supplement state and local efforts to save lives and protect property and public health and safety or to avert the threat of a catastrophe in any part of the United States.
Assistance for the State and Affected Local Governments Can Include as Required:
Payment of not less than 75 percent of the eligible costs for removing debris from public areas and for emergency measures taken to save lives and protect property and public health. (Source: FEMA funded, state administered.)
Initial FEMA-administered aid is limited to $5 million. If limit is exceeded, the President reports on the nature and extent of continuing emergency assistance requirements to Congress before approving further federal aid.
How to Apply for Assistance:
Application procedures for local governments will be explained at a series of federal/state applicant briefings with locations to be announced in the affected area by recovery officials. Approved public repair projects are paid through the state from funding provided by FEMA and other participating federal agencies.
FEMA coordinates the federal government’s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Disaster Assistance Available from FEMA
Housing Needs
Other than Housing Needs
Additional Services
Housing Needs
Temporary Housing (a place to live for a limited period of time): Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government provided housing unit when rental properties are not available. Search for information about housing rental resources.
Repair: Money is available to homeowners to repair damage from the disaster to their primary residence that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional.
Replacement: Money is available to homeowners to replace their home destroyed in the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing their destroyed home.
Permanent Housing Construction: Direct assistance or money for the construction of a home. This type of help occurs only in insular areas or remote locations specified by FEMA, where no other type of housing assistance is possible.
What specific items are covered by “Housing Needs” assistance?
Do I qualify for “Housing Needs” Assistance?
Back To Top
Other than Housing Needs
Money is available for necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster. This includes:
Disaster-related medical and dental costs.
Disaster-related funeral and burial cost.
Clothing; household items (room furnishings, appliances); tools (specialized or protective clothing and equipment) required for your job; necessary educational materials (computers, school books, supplies).
Fuels for primary heat source (heating oil, gas).
Clean-up items (wet/dry vacuum, dehumidifier).
Disaster damaged vehicle.
Moving and storage expenses related to the disaster (moving and storing property to avoid additional disaster damage while disaster-related repairs are being made to the home).
Other necessary expenses or serious needs as determined by FEMA.
Other expenses that are authorized by law.
Do I qualify for “Other than Housing Needs” Assistance?

Do I qualify for “Other than Housing Needs” Assistance?
To receive money for “Other than Housing Needs” that are the result of a disaster, all the following must be true:
You have losses in an area that has been declared a disaster area by the President.
You have filed for insurance benefits and the damage to your property is not covered by your insurance or your insurance settlement is insufficient to meet your losses.
You or someone who lives with you is a citizen of the United States, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
You have necessary expenses or serious needs because of the disaster.
You have accepted assistance from all other sources for which you are eligible, such as insurance proceeds or Small Business Administration disaster loans.
Last Modified: Thursday, 27-Apr-2006 11:50:40 EDT
What Information do I Need to Apply?
Whether applying online OR over the phone, you should have a pen and paper and the following information ready:
Your Social Security number.
Current and pre-disaster address.
A telephone number where you can be contacted.
Insurance information.
Total household annual income
A routing and account number from your bank (only necessary if you want to have disaster assistance funds transferred directly into your bank account)
Lookup your bank routing number.
A description of your losses that were caused by the disaster.
Note: FEMA verifies the name and social security number of those registering for disaster assistance. If the name and social security number on file with the social security administration does not match the information you provide you will be asked to submit a copy of an original document, e.g. marriage license, military ID, tax documents, etc., for proof of identity. A need to review and update identity documentation may cause delays in delivery of assistance.
After you’ve completed your application for assistance, you will receive a FEMA application number. Write down this number and keep it for future reference.
Apply for assistance online

Related News